Tuesday, April 27, 2010

8 3/4 rebuild Part 1

 
Top to bottom: Housing gasket,axle seals,metal flange gasket and outer foam gasket
My original plan was to use the aftermarket "Green"axle bearings but since the factory timkens were in fine shape I decided to keep them. I packed the bearings with high temp grease using a needle tip on a grease gun.
I cleaned up all the threads on the housing and cleaned the gasket surfaces
I thoroughly cleaned the housing and coated it with POR 15.....Wear gloves with this stuff because once it gets on your hands it doesn't come off.
I scored this C-Body 8 3/4 housing in a junkyard. A common theme in my projects
The 9 1/4 rearend was introduced for the 1973 model year. It's an extremely durable unit and was used by Chrysler until the late 90's . The only problem is there isn't much to be had for aftermarket gears and posi units. Which is why I'm switching to a 8 3/4 with a used 3.23:1 "sure grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment