Monday, June 7, 2010

8 3/4 rearend rebuild Part III

After a long delay due to some costly home improvement projects, I finally returned to the garage to thrash on the junkyard Chrysler 8 3/4 rearend. After laying a bead of RTV on the housing I dropped the Third member into the housing with a gasket and torqued the bolts to 45 ft lbs.

You need to be careful sliding the axles in. The splines can cut the axle seals and cause a leak.
The passenger side axle has an endplay adjuster.refer to the factory service manual for the correct procedure to adjust endplay
This little bugger is the endplay retaining clip. Do not lose these things because nobody makes them anymore.
This is the finished product. I still need to install the pinion snubber and brakes. And since the original brake lines were trashed I'll be bending new hardline when I get time.

No comments:

Post a Comment