Sunday, May 8, 2011

1970 Dodge Challenger update: 2011 edition

   Of all the junk cars I've owned It's my 1970 Dodge Challenger that gets the most comments/questions. Unquestionably it's the nicest,fastest,most valuable vehicle I've ever owned. With the prices of Musclecar era mopars skyrocketing in recent years It's safe to say I'll probably never sell it. With that being said I'm as they say in Vegas "all in" when it comes to the challenger.
Several weeks ago I awoke my prized dodge from it's winter slumber. I changed the spark plugs and the oil. I did some experimenting with the plugs by trying a set in a colder heat range. With the oil I used Valvoline VR-1 racing oil, It has a high level of ZDDP, which is a critical ingredient thats lacking in most oil today,and crucial for any older engine utilizing a flat tappet camshaft.
 I screwed up big by not putting any stabil in the gas which made a full tank of new gas pretty much useless. It still ran decent with the bad gas, I eventually got it running and idling rather well. After some tuning I got it to idle at 900 rpm and pull about 9inches of vacuum, It still has a choppy idle due to the camshaft grind having a narrow 108 degree LSA (lobe separation angle) Mopar Performance has since released a cam with identical specs but on a the wider 110 degree LSA which would have a nicer idle. I thought the clutch was burnt up but was simply in need of adjustment and I think it's working fine. I'm still working towards getting some seat time in the challenger at a dragstrip soon,time and money permitting. For dragstrip action I need to install longer wheel studs and get the slicks mounted. After that my only goal is to drive it often and violently. I really want to put some serious miles on the car to work out whatever bugs it still has. It still has a laundry list of little things that need to be addressed. I need to get the front turn signals working,the grease boots on the front suspension are dry rotted from years of sitting and need to be replaced,the steering box leaks a little,the dome light doesn't work, I replaced the leaf springs last year but I still should replace the shocks to call it good. So it's pretty much normal stuff for any vintage mopar owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment