Sunday, June 19, 2011

400 cubic inch Pontiac buildup: Part 3

   Its on to the oiling system. I started out by installing the pickup tube on the Speed pro high volume oil pump. Some people weld the pickup to the pump,but I hedged my bets and used safety wire to keep everything in place
 Next I installed the windage tray. It's a cleaned up stocker.the oil pump was installed with the proper gasket and torqued to 30 ft lbs.
Instead of cleaning a beat up stock oil pan thats probably seen the business end of one too many floor jacks,I opted for a stock replacement from Milodon. It has a few extra baffles that the stock one doesn't have. I haven't decided whether to paint it or leave it the anodized gold
I painted and installed the oil filter adapter and torqued the bolts to 30 ft lbs
  I took a huge leap of faith and purchased some rebuilt #62 heads off ebay. The guy I got them from claims less than 2000 miles on them and I believe him because everything looked fresh. The #62 heads have 2.11 intake valves and 1.77 exhaust and have 75cc combustion chambers. With a .042 crush head gasket this should give me a pump gas friendly 9.5:1 compression ratio.
 I slammed the heads down on the block. The ARP head bolts require 30 weight oil on the threads and a torque spec of 135  ft lbs. Sadly,I self sabotaged this project once again by dropping the cam sprocket on the floor and breaking a few teeth off of it. So I'll be patiently waiting for the UPS guy to deliver a replacement.So stay tuned for the 4th and hopefully final installment.




No comments:

Post a Comment