Sunday, August 15, 2010

Zero to hero in 30 days? day 15



This rocker panel made me cringe. Whoever did the bodywork previously applied bondo over duct tape and stuffed the rockers with grocery bags. The only option for fixing this trainwreck is to cut everything out and weld in new.
I used a cutoff wheel to remove the rusty rocker panel......good riddance
After I got the rocker off I applied POR 15 to the inner structure. Since this thing has such a rust problem I figured I should do everything possible to prevent further rust.
This rocker panel was a reproduction and not an OEM,so there was some fitment  issues. I've seen worse repro rocker panels and I've seen better. After some trimming I welded the panel in place, I plug welded the rocker along the pinch weld like it was done in the factory. I still need to finish some filler work and get it ready for painting. Now I have to do the same thing on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment